Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sauce Moutarde a la Normande

I made this amazing sauce from Mastering the Art of French Cooking to spice up a pork shoulder steak. I loved it so much I wanted to marry it. If Pee Wee can marry a fruit salad, I can marry a sauce, right?

Even though I halved the recipe, we still had over 1/2 cup left. Nathan suggested that it would be great on burgers, and it was. I think this would be awesome on any mammal or any green leafy vegetables with strong flavor.


Sauce Moutarde a la Normande
[Mustard Sauce with Cream]
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 10 crushed peppercorns
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • salt
  • 2tsp dry mustard mixed with 2 tsp water
  • 1 to 2 Tb softened butter
  • a warm gravy boat 
  1. After the pork (or whatever) has been cooked, strain the meat juices into a bowl and degrease them.
  2. Pour the vinegar and peppercorns into the casserole (pan) and boil until the vinegar has reduced to about a tablespoon. Pour in the meat juices and boil them down rapidly until they have reduced to about 2/3 cup.
  3. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring in salt to taste. Beat in the mustard mixture and simmer 2-3 minutes more. Sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon lightly. Correct seasoning.
  4. Off heat and just before serving, swirl in the butter by bits, then pour the sauce into a warm gravy boat.
I don't have a gravy boat. I make a lot of sauces and gravies because I like to use Mastering the Art for meats. I feel that I should have a gravy boat, so I looked up my dish set (Noritake Colorwave in a mix of graphite and chocolate) to see if there was a gravy boat. it exists, but it's $65 ($41 on sale). I guess I can continue to serve gravy in a pyrex measuring cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment