Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

Date Night @ Home

It didn't really start out as a date night. I was just trying a chicken recipe from MtAoFC that I hadn't made before, but as I worked on it, I realized this was going to be good. So I set the table and called it a date even though I was wearing yoga pants and an I <3 NY shirt (it's laundry day).
  
Folded napkins, candles and wine make it a date!
This is a nice chicken recipe. Everything cooked evenly, the meat was tender and juicy and it still had a crispy skin. I followed the Mastering the Art of French Cooking recipe for Fricassee de Poulet au Paprika which is just a variation on the basic chicken fricassee recipe with paprika added. Instead of adding paprika, you could substitute curry powder or really any other flavor you like with chicken. The chicken was served with roasted broccoli with red pepper flakes and a little baby loaf of French bread. We had a bottle 14 Hands white to drink.

Last Christmas, Nathan and I stayed in a beautiful little hotel in downtown Seattle called the Vintage Park that celebrates Washington wineries. Each room is decorated with art and photographs from a winery and there is a nightly tasting in the lobby. One night we had wine from 14 Hands and loved it. Lucky us, they stock several varieties at our local Lee's Discount Liquor.

In my last post, I included a lot of detail right from the book because I wanted to show how crazy daunting it can be to look at this particular cookbook from a modern point of view, but it's really not that bad once you get used to the style, so today I'm just going to explain how I made the chicken.

Step 1: Get A Chicken
This chicken came from the butcher's. Nathan asked specifically for a frying chicken, so I kind of expected it would be broken down.




 Step 2: Cut Up Your Chicken
There is a great step by step guide to breaking down a chicken here. I've never been very good at it myself, so I usually have Nathan do it. His grandfather was a butcher, so I figure it's in his blood. Plus, I like staring at him luridly while he's in the kitchen.





Flavor Crystals
Step 3: Aromatic Vegetables
Slice a carrot, small onion, and celery stalk and saute in 4 Tbsp (I know that's a lot, but it's to cook the chicken in too) butter for about 5 minutes. I didn't have any celery. 





Step 4: Brown Your Chicken
Push the veggies off to one side of your pan and brown the chicken for about 3 minutes per side. It should end up a nice golden yellow. Make sure to dry the chicken pieces thoroughly before putting them in the butter to brown. That is how you get a nice crispy outside.


Step 5: Paprika
Don't get too excited about the paprika just yet. First dust your chicken with about 3 Tbsp flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 to 1 tsp black pepper. Roll the chicken around with tongs to make sure you evenly coat each piece with flour. Put a lid on your pan and cook over low heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
After a few minutes, remove the lid and sprinkle the chicken with 1 and 1/2 Tbsp paprika. I know that sounds like a lot, but it can take it. Really. Turn the chicken pieces to make sure they are coated and that the paprika has mixed thoroughly with everything else. Put the lid back on and continue to cook the chicken over low heat for 10 minutes.






Step 6: Fricassee!
Pour 2-3 cups hot chicken stock (enough to pretty much cover the chicken pieces) and 1 cup dry white wine over your chicken. Add a bay leaf and a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Bring it to a simmer, then cover and maintain a slow simmer for 25 minutes.


finished sauce
Step 7: Sauce
Remove the chicken to a serving dish and keep it warm while you make the sauce. Let the cooking liquids continue to simmer for a few minutes and skim as much fat off the top as you can, then raise the heat and boil rapidly until the sauce reduces and thickens. At this point, I poured the sauce through a sieve to strain out the carrots, onions and herbs.

In a large mixing bowl, blend 1/2 cup whipping cream and 2 egg yolks with a wire whisk (I did this while the chicken was fricasseeing). Add the pan sauce a tablespoon at a time while continuing to mix. Once you've added about half the sauce by spoonfull, drizzle the rest in a steady stream while continuing to mix. Pour the sauce back into your pan and bring it to a boil while stirring constantly. Let it boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and pour into your serving dish.

Nathan is really picky about how chicken is cooked, and he loved this, or at least pretended to for my sake. I think the recipe would be great without the paprika - the sauce would still be flavorful from the chicken drippings and vegetables. I can't wait to try it with curry powder instead of paprika. I even think with the paprika that this recipe is pretty kid/picky eater friendly. Paprika doesn't have a strong taste, and the burnt orange color of the sauce isn't too offputting for kids.


The cat definitely wanted some.

No comments:

Post a Comment