Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Perfect Taco

A few weeks ago, I had an amazing achievement. I made perfect tacos.
 The perfect taco pictured above included shredded spice rubbed roast pork, shredded romaine lettuce, radishes, crumbled cotija cheese and sour cream. The pork is great, versatile (tacos, burritos, nachos, breakfast burritos, enchiladas!), and super easy to make.
You will need:
  • 3-4 lb pork shoulder (butt)
  • 2 4 oz cans diced green chilies (or use fresh roasted Anaheim chilies like I did)
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp taco seasoning
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Mix the chilies and spices together (I pulsed them until chunky in my food processor so I didn't have to dice the chilies or mince the garlic), rub them on the pork, wrap it all in foil and bake on a cookie sheet for 3-4 hours in a 300 degree oven. Let cool and shred.

This recipe is super easy, really tasty and makes a TON of shredded pork for all your Mexican food needs. I froze half of it and am going to thaw it out to make more perfect tacos tomorrow. I am going to make them even more perfect by swapping out the sour cream for crema.

Crema is like a Mexican version of creme fraiche. I am using this recipe from Good Eats to make it right now. I am terrified because this jar of warmed up cream and buttermilk is sitting on my counter where it supposed to sit for the next 24 hours. Then I am supposed to eat it. Mmmm spoiled cream and buttermilk.

I think it's going to be awesome, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment